Natural gas is colorless and odorless. A distinctive, pungent odor, similar to rotten eggs, is added to it so that you will recognize it quickly. Natural Gas detectors are an additional safeguard to alert you of leaks.
Natural gas consists primarily of methane. The natural gas detector measures the concentration of methane in the air, and sounds an alarm to alert you before dangerous levels are reached.
*Never depend on your natural gas detector as a substitute for proper equipment installation, use, and maintenance.
How it works
If your device detects a dangerous level of natural gas in your home its light will flash and/or it will emit a loud noise. Please refer to your user’s manual for specific natural gas alarm characteristics.
Test the device regularly
Test your natural gas detector regularly by pressing and holding the “test” button. Please refer to your user’s manual for testing intervals and full testing procedures that explain the light and sound patterns that indicate whether the detector and alarm functions are working properly, and how to tell if a new battery is required.
If the alarm ever fails to test correctly, contact the manufacturer immediately. See your user’s manual for comprehensive installation, maintenance and testing instructions.
If the natural gas detector alarm sounds, respond immediately!
- Assume there’s a dangerous natural gas leak. Leave the area quickly, taking everyone with you.
DO NOT use the telephone or any electrical appliances including light switches, garage door openers, doorbells, radios, TVs or cell phones. A spark from any of these sources could ignite the gas, causing a fire or explosion.
- DO NOT assume someone else will report the leak.
- From a safe distance, approximately 330’ away (about the length of a football field), call 911 or call National Fuel’s gas emergency number at 800.444.3130. Provide the exact location, including cross streets, and inform the dispatcher of any recent sewer construction or digging activities nearby.
- DO NOT go back inside your home or building until National Fuel personnel say it is safe to return.
- DO NOT disconnect the gas detector battery to silence an alarm. A spark could cause an explosion. Leave the area quickly and do not go back inside until National Fuel or emergency responders say it is safe to return.
If you have children in your home
- Keep small children away from the unit and do not let them play with it.
- Explain to children what the different lights and alarm sounds mean.
- Teach children to leave the home immediately and tell a trusted adult if the unit begins to flash or beep.