During various weather events, it’s important to make sure your home stays safe and your natural gas meter stays clear. Please be mindful of snow, ice and extremely cold temperatures, as well as hazardous conditions like flooding.
Follow these tips to stay safe:
- Keep the gas meter and area around the meter free of snow and other obstructions. Use a broom to keep it clear.
- Maintain a clear path to the meter.
- Inform those working, shoveling, plowing or snow blowing around a meter of its location.
- Call 1-800-365-3234 if a meter becomes encased in ice. Do NOT attempt to break or melt the ice yourself.
- Exercise caution when removing icicles from a meter or any area of the roof above the meter.
- Do not let children play or climb on the meter.
- If any natural gas appliance burner or its controls have been under water, do NOT attempt to relight the appliance. A qualified contractor should be called to inspect your equipment before it can be used again.
- Make sure the gas meter is easily accessible at all times.