Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and dangerous gas. It’s released when appliances that use natural gas aren’t working properly. Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and learn the symptoms.
Following our CO Safety Checklist can keep your family safe.
Have your chimney, appliances and heating equipment inspected and tested by a qualified professional every year.
Install ventless heaters in accordance with manufacturer specifications.
Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Clear snow and ice from appliance exhaust and intake air vents.
Keep vents and flues free of debris.
Follow these CO safety tips:
- Never rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, heating equipment or chimneys.
- Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating.
- Never use ventless heaters as a primary heating source.
- Never run gasoline engines (such as gas generators) or automobiles in an enclosed space.
- Never use a portable charcoal or propane grill indoors.
Know the symptoms:
- Irregular breathing
- Overall paleness
- Cherry red lips and ears
Keep CO Safety top of mind.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get outside immediately. Then call 911.