Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that you can’t see or smell. It’s released when appliances that use natural gas aren’t working properly. Learning to identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is extremely important.
- Irregular breathing
- Overall paleness
- Cherry red lips and ears
If you or anyone in your household experiences these symptoms, immediately open windows and doors to ventilate and get outside. Once there, call 9-1-1.
To minimize the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Have your chimney, appliances and heating equipment inspected and tested by a qualified professional every year.
- Install ventless heaters in accordance with manufacturer specifications, never using them as a primary heat source.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. Do not rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, heating equipment or chimneys. Use carbon monoxide detectors as additional preventative measures.
- Clear snow and ice from exhaust vents and intake air vents for gas appliances.
- Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating.
- Never run a gasoline engine (such as a gasoline generator) or an automobile in an enclosed space.
- Never use a portable charcoal or propane grill indoors.